Monday, February 15, 2016

Knit Cable Hat



So.... I am super-duper excited about this cable knit hat. The whole reason for me learning to knit was so I can do all sorts of cables! 

One of my New Year's Resolution was to learn how to knit. I decided to start in December and learned how to knit a basic hat. I used larger needles and thicker yarn so my projects can be done sooner. 

It seems so simple... knit one, purl one... but it could get complicated quickly (for me) I wanted to take baby steps. I tried following other tutorials and I get so confused when it gets complicated. It took me a long time to get comfortable with crocheting. I remember having to pause the YouTube videos and go back often.

I noticed while searching for tutorials on YouTube that there are more crochet tutorials for dummies meaning from start to finish of a hat and they go slow... talk to beginners as if they are beginners. This was super helpful when I was learning how to crochet. Most of the tutorials I found on knitting were of swatches and I guess I'm one of those dummies that just doesn't get it..... when there is a full tutorial, they go so fast that I can't keep up.

SO..... that is why I'm really excited about this hat. I cast on 40 using a 10mm circular needle because I cast on 42 using a 9mm circular needle for my other hat (which fit great!). For some reason, it was a little small. I'm not an expert so I don't know if it is because the cables don't give as much of a stretch. I'm assuming that's why!

Anyway, I didn't follow a tutorial or a pattern for this one. I can't really read the patterns just yet. haha I am so happy with how it turned out though. I was especially excited about how the decrease at the top looks like!

I will cast on more for the adult size and can brave the more complicated patterns soon!. Woo hoo!




I have to take my boy everywhere I go so... I put it on him... See? It's small.





I also made a grey hat


No comments:

Post a Comment