Monday, March 7, 2016

Knit Becky Slouchy Hat

I recently made a little slouchy hat for my baby to test out a pattern. 




I posted a photo and someone wanted the exact hat in black. I didn't write it down so I had to look at the old hat to figure out what I did :) It was simple stitches so it wasn't too hard to figure out. I was pretty excited about the outcome. This new hobby is great! Why didn't I start sooner!? :)

This hat fits me (21" circumference). The customer requested a size small 21"-22". The sizes will be different depending on the tightness of your cast on and stitches (I used to cast one so tight that I cast on 42). I'm still learning and experimenting to see what's right for me.



SUPPLIES:
Yarn - 2 balls (because I used 2 strands) Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in black
16" 9mm Circular Needles
9mm Double Pointed Needles (DPN)
Stitch Marker
Yarn Needle
Scissors

co - Cast on
k1 - Knit one
p1 - Purl one
m1p - Make one purl (increase)
k2tog - Knit 2 together (decrease)

I used 2 strands of the yarn to thicken it.

BRIM:
Co 40 stitches, add stitch marker & join the round
k1, p1 all the way around until desired length of brim is reached. 

HAT:
Round 1 - p1 all the way around

Round 2 - *p1 in the next 4 stitches, m1p (Video Tutorial I followed). Repeat from * all the way around. This increases hat by 10 stitches for a total of 50 stitches.

Rounds 3&4 - p1 all the way around

Rounds 5-10 - k1 all the way around

Rounds 11-14 - p1 all the way around

Rounds 15-20 - k1 all the way around

Rounds 21-24 - p1 all the way around

Rounds 25-30 - k1 all the way around 

Note: Each Purl (bump) section is 4 rounds and each knit (Dip) section is 6 rounds.

BEGIN DECREASE ROUNDS:

(Switch to dpn whenever you feel it's getting too tight.)

Round 1 - k4, k2tog. Repeat all the way around
Round 2 - k1 all the way around
Round 3 - k3, k2tog. Repeat all the way around
Round 4 - k1 all the way around (You may stop here)
Round 5 - k2, k2tog. Repeat all the way around
Round 6 - k1 all the way around

Cut yarn leaving 6-10 inches to weave through hat.
Using the yarn needle, insert into each stitch as if to knit and pull stitch off circular needle
Repeat all the way around. Cinch and tie a knot(s) and weave in ends.









No comments:

Post a Comment