Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Newborn Brown and Pink Girl Hat Pom Pom

 

Ever since I started knitting a few months ago, I've been obsessed! Only a few will understand but my yarn stash got 90% bigger and I started knitting almost every day! If I'm not knitting, I'm crocheting. I've only been using mostly chunky yarn and large needles. Today, I decided to go outside my comfort zone and used a 5mm needle (my usual is 9mm-10mm). I decided to do a newborn hat since they're smaller and my whole issue was how long it took to make a hat with smaller needles. 

I was super excited that it didn't take too long to make. It would have been quicker if I didn't mess up and had to keep taking apart my work. I wasn't following a pattern and wasn't quite sure what I was doing so that's why I kept screwing up. All I know was I wanted a brown and pink hat.

Worsted weight (4) yarn in pink and brown
5mm 16" circular needle
5mm double pointed needles
Stitch marker
Yarn needle
Scissors 

K1 - knit 1
P1 - purl 1
K2tog - knit 2 together (decrease)
Cast on 60 stitches

Brim is worked in flat rows, the rest of the hat in rounds

Using the pink yarn

Row 1-7: Slip the first stitch as if to knit (without actually knitting it), k1, p2, *k2, p2, Repeat from * all the way around. Turn your work and repeat for a total of 7 rows.

Round 1: add stitch marker, k1 all the way around and join the hat

Switch to the brown color yarn (do not cut the pink yarn, you'll carry this up as you knit)

Rounds 2-4: k1 all the way around with brown yarn

Round 5: k4 (brown), k1 (pink) Repeat all the way around. Every 5th stitch will be pink.

Rounds 6-8: k1 all the way around with brown yarn

Round 9: k2 (brown), k1 (pink), *k4 (brown), k1 (pink), Repeat from * all the way around

Rounds 10-12: k1 all the way around with brown yarn

Round 13: k4 (brown), k1 (pink) Repeat all the way around

Round 14: k1 all the way around with brown color.

Decrease Rounds (with all brown yarn). Change to double pointed needles at any time you are too tight around.

Round 1: k1 all the way around
Round 2: k4, k2tog, Repeat all the way around
Round 3: k1 all the way around
Round 4: k3, k2tog, Repeat all the way around
Round 5: k2, k2tog, Repeat all the way around
Round 6: k1, k2tog, Repeat all the way around
Round 7: k2tog all the way around until you have a few stitches and close up by using the yarn needle and thread through each stitch as if to knit. 

Cut 3 pieces each side of desired length of yarn, thread through corner of brim and braid. Do the same for both sides. 

Add Pom Pom. I used a Pom Pom maker. 




No comments:

Post a Comment